Thursday, December 15, 2011

Rod of the month cont.

I usually use 13 rings on my grips. For some reason I have always liked this so you could move your casting hand around and it not be hanging off the grip. Myself I like to use very light weight reels. I didn't realize this until last summer when I was out at a bamboo rod event in Island Park. I casted several Per Brandin rods. With very light weight seats and light reels is moves the fulcrum up the rod. I had always wanted to balance a rod in my hand with a reel. However, his rods felt great. At first I thought it was his tapers (and maybe it is), but what I realized is that the butt of the rod is the fulcrum and it feels great! Directly after that I tweaked my tapers to realize this.

On this rod I went with a light green agate to match the wraps. The wraps are light green with crimson tipping. I don't do a lot of fancy wraps because I think it takes away from the beauty of the cane. I love to just sit and look at the rod as I am making it because the bamboo is refreshing.




No comments:

Post a Comment