Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Shop News

Well, I have sent out the last rod for 2011. Its now time to clean up the shop and get ready for 2012. I have about a month before I have to really get busy on rods. So I will be working on a project that I started last year. Its the Carbon Fiber Ferrule (CFF).

Last summer I went to a bamboo rod makers gathering on the Henry's Fork river. There I met Tim Anderson and his rods with CFF's. I fell in love at first cast. They were light, responsive and great looking. After unsuccessfully trying to buy or trade Tim I decided I could make one myself. That's were the problem started. It's not as easy as it looked. So I will be picking that up again this year.

The two main reasons I like this system is weight and Travel. I think I can make a 8'6" 5 weight 4 piece that comes in under 3 oz. The blank in the pics below weighs 2.23 oz. I have always been a weigh weenie and looked to cut the weight of a rod anywhere I could, as long as it didn't affect the action of the rod. This is a project with great rewards, but I assume that it is going to take a lot of experimenting. The main reason is I want a spigoted ferrule system instead of the sleeve version several rod makers use.

I hope everyone has a great 2012 and feel free to contact me and talk fishing!


No comments:

Post a Comment